Monday, January 3, 2011

Year Of Le Fit

My guess is that at the beginning of every year almost everyone makes resolutions relating to their body, about being more active, getting in shape, exercising, losing weight, eating better, etc. And I am no exception. I actually did my first work out of the year tonight at LA Fitness! What often  happens to me, though, is that I'll be super pumped to start working out, do really well for the first couple of days and then just go sporadically the rest of the year, never really doing enough to show the results of my labor. I've vowed for that to change this year, and THIS is how I'll do it:


  • Find an exercise buddy. If you're the only person motivating yourself to workout, most likely your lazy side will beat out your active side in a battle for supremacy (for myself at least). Find someone to go with, and not only is it easier to suffer going to the gym and through workouts, it is also much more fun. The more people you get to go (mind, it should be people you like...) the more it'll become something to look forward to! 
  • Find something active that you LIKE to do, and do it! Some people like to run. I, unfortunately, am not one of them, nor will I ever be. I do like to bike though, and it's not something I have to force. There is something so pleasant about listening to my favorite music and going for a nice bike ride around my neighborhood. Whatever active thing you like, biking, walking, running, jumping rope, volleyball, soccer, tennis, etc. try to find ways to do it as much as possible. It will make a HUGE difference in your fitness goals for 2011. 
  • Read magazines. And I don't mean fashion ones (though I am guilty of reading those while I am on the cycling machine). Fitness magazines are great ways to keep you inspired to work out. I love reading about tips of new moves to try that target specific areas, learning about the best foods to eat, and reading about the healthiest way to diet and exercise. Plus, nothing gets you motivated like a celebrity in top shape on the cover!


  • Bring the right things. Make sure you have a bag specifically for the gym packed with the essentials like a towl, water, face wash, ipod, headphones, etc. Especially if you have it packed and ready, it will make going to the gym just that much easier. 
  • New exercise clothes. I don't know about you, but I love getting new clothes, even if it's exercise clothes. This does not mean that I spend a lot of money on it. For me personally, investing a lot of money (unless you're a pro athlete) in something you're going to be sweating in most of the time does not make a lot of sense. Luckily, brands like Gap, Old Navy and Victoria's Secret have great, affordable options, and as an added bonus, they're cute too. :) Below is some yoga gear from Old Navy. 


Well, those are my best tips for now! As I progress further into the year and learn even more about how to stay motivated, I'll update the list. I hope we can all stick to our exercise plans and that 2011 is a fitter, healthier year in general. In the meantime, I'd love to hear about what YOU do to stay in shape and your own resolutions body-wise. Happy exercising! 





7 comments:

  1. You totally inspired me to work out. Imma do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a dope blog... I'm going to subscribe without a doubt. And I think I am going to follow all of these tips besides the whole reading magazines thing.

    Let's all get super fit in 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post, I read also fitness magazines to motivate myself xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found an AWESOME Yoga studio that I can bike to from my house. I am SO stoked to start going there a few times a week! It's exercise that I love! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're all inspired! :)

    Skygang, that sounds great! I want to get into yoga/pilates and of course my bike rides. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynth, I will be your exercise buddy.

    ReplyDelete